Aloo Bhindi Curry

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

This is the last dish for TTCB's stop over in India, I haven't decided where to next. I will have to look over the list and choose.......



Recipie by Sulekha.com - http://food.sulekha.com/

Ingredients:

Aloo (Potato) - 1/4 kg (peeled and cut into small pieces)
Bhindi (Okra) - 1/4 kg ( cut lenghtwise into 1 inch pieces) - used tinned Okra
Tomato - 1 big
Onion - 2 medium
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tbs
Salt - as needed

For Seasoning :

Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - a few sprigs
Oil - a little

Method:

1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the potatoes & okra separately. Keep them aside.

2. Heat a little oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and saute onion pieces till slight brown

3. Add diced tomato & curry leaves and cook over a low heat for a few minutes. On a low heat keep it cooking for about 10 minutes.

4. Add the fried Potato & Okra along with chilli powder & salt as needed (this does make a hot curry so you may wish to tone down the amount of chilli powder you use)

5. Stir till curry and vegetables are properly mixed and cooked through.


Potato~ Aloo

Okra ~ Bhindi (from tin with caps removed)

This recipe wasn't the easiest to follow....it was kinda limited in its instruction, at least this was what Mr TTCB said as he was cooking it. It was sweet of him to step up and do this dish for me as I really wanted to try it but was feeling too poorly to bother. I have added a bit of information to this that was not on the original site and fixed some of the English translation up to hopefully make it a bit easier on you guys if you wish to try it.

We just served this dish with plain boiled rice and some store brought Roti (bread wrap), you can also make yourself a Rasam to go over the rice if you wish to be more traditional.

I thought the curry and rice was a little dry but I imagine a Rasam would fix that as it is served over the rice so would add liquid to the dish. It was certainly full of flavour but Miss Three was really not having it...But she did eat the plain rice and the Roti.

TTCB Rating: 2/5


4 comments:

Chris Cassie said...

Great colour in this dish. The recipe really is terrible. I would suggest you search for some more or take a little in my adaption below if you want to cook it.

I would fry off the potato in oil and then fry the Okra in oil. That would crisp them up much more and take up a little of the "glug" that the Okra has. As for being dry, it was very dry. The Rasam would help. But perhaps a very juicy tomato.

Also at step 3 it says On a low heat keep it cooking for about 10 minutes. I am fairly sure after cooking this now that you need to add the Okra and Potato back in before doing this.

At this step you could also add say 1/4 cup of water and then let simmer for the 10 minutes to reduce.

Saphire said...

Thank you MR TTCB that should help others a lot, I was working from memory when I posted and a I only over heard your comments while cooking from the lounge room like the spoiled princess I was being....I was a little vague *grins*

Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh what a shame that the recipe wasn't quite up to scratch. Still good on Mr TTCB for persisting! :)

Anna said...

This is absolutely one of my favourite sabjis! What a shame it didn't work out as you had hoped...

My recipe is quite simple and easy, but requires fresh okra. I will have to try and post it on my blog sometime soon.

Post a Comment

The Traveling Cook Book Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino