Sabudana Payasa

Friday, April 23, 2010



Ingredients:

1 cup Sabudana/Sago/Tapioca Pearls
2½-3 cups Water
1 cup Whole Milk
1¼-1¾ cups Sugar
A Pinch of Saffron, crushed
5-6 Green Cardamoms, peeled and seeds crushed to powder
Few Cashews
1 tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter

(Serves: 5 - 7 people )

I wont write out all the directions because the recipe is not mine, so please click the name of the dish or the website link for the full directions. I suggest when making this dish that you should have all your ingredients measured out and on hand. It can be hard to stop the sago sticking if you have to take the time to measure and crush during the cooking.

(My Sago After Soaking)


( The Sago Turning Translucent During Cooking )


I also discovered when buying Saffron that you need to be cautious of what brand you buy, I picked up one brand that was $13.50 and then was luckily pointed to another that was about $6 and had 5 times the amount in the container. A pretty big difference on the hip pocket. I managed to buy all my ingredients at Woolworth's so I imagine you should be able to find them at most grocery stores.

Changes I would make next time would be, only 1 cup of sugar as 1 and 1/4 cups was just too sweet for my families taste. Thinking about it I wouldn't bother with green cardamom seeds either, I would simply put in a teaspoon of cardamom already out of the shell that I crushed. I also added some raisins to the cashew mix to my Sabudana Payasa.

The dish was easy to make and quite lovely, certainly a different desert to plain old vanilla ice cream and chocolate topping that is pretty much a family norm unless its a special occasion.

My three year old daughter unfortunately screwed up her nose and said she didn't like it, but she was also intent on playing at the time. Don't you just love the fussy stages, I will try her again on it tomorrow cold and during the day so the sugar rush has time to burn off.


TTCB Rating : PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket/5

I will certainly be trying Sabudana Payasa again, maybe a fresh fruit variation I saw with mango. The day after I made the Sabudana Payasa dish, I tried the left overs cold with plain vanilla ice cream and it was divine the ice cream cut the sweetness and balanced it out very nicely.

(My Sabudana Payasa - with raisins and cashews)

6 comments:

Chris Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

Am glad that your first Indian dish turned out well. This was just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to India desserts but I hope you enjoyed it.

Looking forward to more of your posts :)

Saphire said...

Thanks guys, Kat did it look passable to you? given your the only person I know who has had it before.

Not Quite Nigella said...

I love the texture of the tapioca balls! Someone I met said that they had a tapioca item for breakfast which makes sense and is good for GF eaters too! :)

Saphire said...

This was actually my first sampling of sago/tapioca I wasn't sure how it would go but it was a bit hit too especially the next day cold with vanilla ice cream that just made it wickedly good to eat.

I can see how you could have it for breakfast, if you made it plain and added fresh fruit, maybe even yogurt. it would kinda be like eating porridge or oats.

Chris Cassie said...

It was very funny actually because when Penny said she was making something with Sago I immediatly said oh yeah I know what that is we used to eat it as a dessert all the time when I was a kid. I guess it was filling and cheap.

It must be a very versatile ingredient! This pudding was very nice with icecream! Hot and without icecream it was way too sweet for me and I am a big white chocolate fan... So that was a very strange sensation.

Post a Comment

The Traveling Cook Book Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino